Even today, this is a rather tricky task for me. Every time I have to update my resume, I think about what is essential to add and what is worth missing.
So I got the idea to research this question and share the results. Moreover, sooner or later, the thought of a complete resume check comes to everyone who knows what a resume is.
A resume is a document that describes what a candidate can do and what kind of experience they have. The employer reviews the resume to see if the interview time is worth spending on the candidate. Thus, the resume is the first impression that the employer receives about the candidate. This is not the wrong reason to spend an extra hour or two or three hours perfecting this critical document.
The main criterion is that everything written in the resume must be relevant to the job/position for which the summary is being created. There are various free resume checkers on the internet, but first of all, we would advise you to check it yourself. The best resume checker free is your brain. It's quite real to format your unique resume yourself.
- The first on your resume should be your name and contact information: phone number, email address.
- It is essential to create a new email box for professional correspondence.
- Also, after or before contacts, you can add a link to your LinkedIn page.
- Suppose you have an account on Git. Hub, add it too. The Objective can be specified in the header.
Further goes the section Skills, section Projects, section Education. Do not forget to indicate the level of proficiency in foreign languages: English is mandatory, and depending on the project, other languages can be a plus. You can add Internship, Related experience, Leadership and Activities, Honors and Rewards, Certifications, Professional affiliations, Volunteer experience sections.
CV formatting / design guidelines:
- Font: Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman, Trebuchet.
- Font size: 12 or 14.
- Margins: 1.25 - 2.5 cm.
- Headings are the same size as the main text (12-14). You can make them stand out from the rest of the text using bold, underlined, or use ALL CAPS.
- Follow the alignment to the left.
What should be at the end?
Don't forget to check:
1) General look, style, and formatting
It should be neat, easy to read, and makes a good first impression.
2) No mistakes
It shouldn't have any grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary.
3) Content, structure
Divide it into sections, highlight important information, delete the redundant data.
4) Work experience, skills: described and listed is related to the position, use verbs in the perfect form.
5) Last but not least, if you want your resume to look the same "on all computers," please save it in PDF format. In this case, you do not have to worry that the text will move or formatting will deteriorate - your resume will look neat and professional.
A resume is a basis for finding a new, and for some, the first job! Of course, a summary is not yet a guarantee of good work, but it is the basis for this. Therefore, you should approach the writing of this seemingly simple document with full responsibility. Thanks to your resume, you may be invited or not invited to a particular company for an interview. A resume is the first impression of you as a specialist and a candidate for your chosen position. We will not talk long about the importance of the resume. I think you already understood that it is crucial.